Sunday, May 13, 2007

Plumpjack Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

Sometime ago, I decided to conduct a test. I purchased two bottles of the Plumjack Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 -- one to open immediately, the other to open in a few years. I have enjoyed a number of aged California Cabernets, and I wanted to see how one would age. I chose Plumpjack, because of the quality, price (compared to other top California producers, it's cheap) and the tasting notes I found online. Tonight, I opened the "young" bottle.

It exhibited a beautiful purple color, shifting to maroon at the edges. It had powerful dark fruits, including cherry, on the nose along with mouth-puckering tannins. The midpalate added a nice touch of vanilla and a spice that I cannot place (and confirmed the nose's detection of the tannins). The wine shifted smoothly from the midpalate to the finish, which lasted nicely (a great match for steak). In short, it's very impressive right now, but I want to see it mellow out a bit. Four out of five stars.

No comments: