Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Warre Otima 10 Year Tawny Port

I love the Lovely Young Lady. One of the vices she tolerates -- nay, encourages -- is a monthly cigar in the apartment. After a busy weekend (which basically went from us celebrating our anniversary to me working all day on Sunday) and a busy week, I was in need of my mid-month cigar. Stopping at the local grocery store for some victuals, I picked up a bottle of the Warre Otima 10 Year Tawny Port. I have not had a Tawny in a long time, and I was about due. [Oh, and by the way, I am still amazed, after growing up in Pennsylvania, that I can buy decent wine at a Safeway.]

Solid red color with amber hues, with caramel, plum and licorice nose. The palate is smooth, fruity, and sweet, but also powerful enough to remind me of Dr. Johnson's famous quote: "Claret for boys, port for men but brandy for heroes." Pleasantly little heat on the finish (unlike way too many rubies worth mentioning), the Port makes for a pleasant nightcap. And being a 10 Year Tawny, the open bottle will keep for the next few days, allowing me to polish it off. Three and a half stars out of five.

No comments: