Sunday, December 21, 2008

Alpha Omega (yet again).

I made a trip over the weekend to Alpha Omega winery pick up my allocation their 2006 Era (which, btw, comes in a very sleek packaging and is labeled at a surprising 15% alcohol considering how harmonious it was when I tried it in the barrel a few months ago). While there, I stopped and sampled a few of their current releases, a pre-release, and some of their library wines.

Cabernet Sauvignon 2003
Delightful red cherries and matured tannins. Drinking very well right now but could still benefit from a few years of aging. This would make an excellent dinner wine with a wide array of dishes. Three and a half stars out of five.

Merlot 2006
This wine was just off. Enough spice on the nose to make me think it was a Syrah. Earthy on the palate, its fruit flavors were muted. Could have benefited from more pronounced fruit characterists. Two stars out of five.

Chardonnay 2005
One of the wines that got me to fall in love with this winery. Banana and creamy nose with medium weight on the palate. I grabbed two bottles of this for a dinner the future Mrs. H. and I are throwing this coming Saturday. Four stars out of five.

Chardonnay 2006 (pre-release)
Similar to the 2005, though fuller body. The nose had a distinct element -- not unpleasant, just hard to place. Perhaps butterscotch? Maybe nutmeg? Either way, a fun wine that could prove very food friendly. Does it have serious aging potential? Maybe.... Three and a half stars out of five.

Unaoked Chardonnay "Beth" 2007
I'm just not a fan of this bottling. Too much pear for my taste (though if you're a fan of pear, you'll love this wine). Three stars out of five, but YMMV.

Syrah 2007
Surprising raspberry notes with muted spice. The wine was red in color and not inky at all on the palate. Completely unexpected and delicious. Drink now, or age for a few years to see how it grows. Three and a half stars out of five.

No comments: