Saturday, September 1, 2007

30th Birthday

I was born in 1977 which, sadly, was not a great year for wine. Well, unless the wine happens to be Port. So, trying to find some wine with a "30" theme to open for my birthday has proven tough (and expensive). But, why should I let that stop me?

So, two days after my birthday I'm throwing a small party, and I'm opening some wines that have a 30 element or that I have a special appreciation for. First, a Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour 1977 Cabernet Sauvignon -- the only table wine from my birth year that I've been able to find! For whites, I'm planning on opening both the Grgich Hills and the Calera 30th anniversary Chardonnays. At this point, people will be nice and sloshed, and the table wines will shift to the Dom Martinho Quinta do Carmo -- I wine a first tried while eating at a cafe on the Douro river during my 28th birthday trip. And then, the final wine for the night: a 1977 Graham.

Ok, it's not a trip to Bordeaux, but it will be one hell of a 30th birthday!

No comments: