Friday, September 14, 2007

Grgich Hills Paris Tasting Commemorative Chardonnay 2003

Birthdays are a great time to celebrate. Last night, I had a small, intimate celebration -- just a "lovely young lady" and I -- and we opened a bottle of the Grgich Hills Paris Tasting Commemorative Chardonnay 2003 with dinner. This was a special wine for me, and it probably deserves a little story before I get onto the tasting notes.

Grgich Hills was founded as a joint venture between winemaker Mike Grgich and the Hills Brothers. Mike Grgich, before starting Grgich Hills, had worked for numerous Napa producers, including Chateau Montelena. At Chateau Montelena, he crafted a Chardonnay which Steven Spurier then included in the 1976 Paris Tasting -- which won the top white. Thus, this bottle that I opened commemorated this event -- making it a perfect bottle to celebrate another 30-year "anniversary."

As for the wine itself, it had no signs of oxidation and a beautiful golden color. The nose had elements of citrus (mostly lemon) with a touch of peach and maybe mango. The body was rich and moderate acidity. Golden apples dominated the palate, with the finish transitioning smoothly to hazelnut. A bottle that I've dreaded opening -- simply because I knew I could never get another one -- but glad I opened with the right person on the right night. Four out of five stars.

No comments: