Thursday, June 19, 2008

Joseph Phelps Insignia 2002

Over a year ago, I blogged about finding a bottle of the Insignia 2002. Tonight, I opened it with the lovely young lady. But, before I give my tasting notes for the wine, a little back story.

I moved to San Francisco a year ago today. The move was a major change for me -- I knew no one here, I had no work connections, and I had no idea what the future promised. I simply needed a change. A year later, and I have met the woman of my dreams, my career is doing well, and I feel like I have finally found a place that felt like home.

So, tonight called for a celebration! The lovely young lady and I prepared a great dinner, and the Insignia 2002 was opened.

What an amazing wine! Royal purple color, with rich aromas of creme de casis, vanillan, and mint on the nose. The tannins are both rich and silky smooth, and the finish lingers for minutes. This is an amazingly rich, opulent wine without being overpowered in any one area. Still has a lot of life left in it, but don't wait -- drink up now! Four and a half out of five stars.

No comments: