Saturday, March 24, 2007

The search for a special bottle of wine.


There is no doubt that I am a huge fan of Joseph Phelps Insignia wines. Until today, I owned a 1999, 2001 and 2003. I have tried all of them, and enjoyed each of them thoroughly. However, for the past year, I have been trying to track down a Joseph Phelps Insignia 2002. Every description of this wine has captivated me... this sounded like a wine that I had to try. When I have bought Insignias from other vintages at various stores, I would always ask if they had a 2002. The typical response was laughter. It seems that, when a certain magazine named the 2002 as wine of the year, the stock of 2002s on the market dried up.

Today, I found my 2002. I decided on a spur of the moment to go to a wine store that I frequent about once a month. I went into the back -- into the climate controlled environment -- and reviewed the racks. There, I saw the telltale signs of an Insignia bottle and almost overlooked it. Fortunately, I looked closer and saw that it was a 2002. Needless to say, I had to ignore my monthly wine budget and grab that bottle. I was so excited for the find that my heart was racing when I brought it down from the rack and carried it to the cash register!

Searching for that one, special bottle is one of the joys of being passionate about wine. It requires persistence -- sometimes bordering on obsession -- and yet the joy of finding that bottle you've been searching for and eventually opening it with a special someone, family or great friends makes that search worthwhile. I cannot wait to enjoy this wine under the right circumstances and with the right person.

No comments: