Monday, March 5, 2007

Quinta do Carmo Alentejo 2001 and Faded Wine

I had a Quinta do Carmo Alentejo 2001 when it was first released. At the time, it seemed mature and balanced. The wine had a nice touch of dark fruits with minimum tannins, and went very well with a meal. In short, the wine was delightful.

I opened another bottle of this wine tonight, and something seemed off. While still present, the fruit was diminished. Whatever tannins had been present seemed inconsequential. While still recognizing the wine I loved, it wasn't how I remembered it. Like a former lover whom one sees after many years, the wine had lost the charm that once made it attractive.

Wine is a living, breathing thing. It rewards those who are passionate about what the world has to offer. Some wines, when treated lovingly, will grow and expand through out an entire life. Others are only short lived -- leaving their best behind in their youth. What's more, one can never really be sure how long a wine will last. So what is one to do? For me, I'll always hope -- and try to avoid regretting waiting too long.

1 comment:

JamieA said...

I get the feeling you weren't entirely talking about wine here :)