Thursday, March 29, 2007

Tria Fermentation School

Tonight, I attended my first "class" at the Tria Fermentation School. The theme was "Lafite-Rotchschild Around the World" -- essentially, the wines produce by Lafite-Rothschild outside of their first growth estate in Bordeaux. Seven wines were opened tonight, and it made for a great chance to try a lot of different wines. It was a great night, and I learned some new and interesting things. Plus, I couldn't help but smile at the instructor's frequent digs at California wine -- while I enjoy a good California Cabernet, those wines sometimes focus too much on power, and not enough on finesse.

Bordeaux Blanc "Reserve Speciale," Lafite-Rothschild 2005
A Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc blend, with an excellent aroma of lemon and tropical fruits on the nose. The palate was smooth with some crispness. Three and a half out of five stars, with an extra half star for value. The Reserve Speciale makes for a great party wine.

Moulin de Duhart 2002
Awful and vegetal, though it may have been a bad bottle given Wine Spectator's tasting notes. Nonetheless, I would have drunk it if I was in a pinch. As it was, I took a single sip and moved on. One and a half out of five stars.

Chateau d'Aussieres 2004
A delicious blend of Syrah and Grenache, with a nice touch of spice and smoke on the nose, followed by a well-rounded palate. The aftertaste lingered without losing flavor or quality. Four out of five stars. I will buy a bottle of this wine!

Quinta do Carmo Reserva 2003
A fresh do Carmo Reserva and, as expected, delightful. Blackberries and coffee on the nose, with a light palate (the instructor claimed that this was a big wine -- I would beg to differ). This Reserva would be great as a purchase to go with an evening dinner. But, like other do Carmo's I've tried, I would not store this wine out of hope that it would improve. Three out of five stars, loosing a half star for price and another half star for lack of aging potential.

Vina Los Vasco "Le Dix De Los Vascos" 2003
Black fruits, cherries and oak on the nose, and the palate showed strong, lasting tannins. Great now, but I have to wonder how delightful it will be in a year or two. . . . Four stars out of five. Another wine that I will buy if I find it!

Bodegas Caro 2003
A Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon blend, it had a great touch of what I call the Malbec punch -- that element of spice (though not like a Rhone) that a nice Malbec has. The Cabernet helped add some dark fruit flavors. Three and a half out of five stars. Another wine I will buy if I find it....

Chateau de Cosse 1999
While no d'Yquem (but, that's never a fair comparison), this was still a delightful wine to finish the night with. Honey, apricot and pineapple on the nose, and a very smooth palate. Nonetheless, it seemed cloying. Three out of five stars.

1 comment:

JamieA said...

Smiling at digs at California wine? Fruity red wine hater!