Friday, February 2, 2007

Glasses, pt. 2

Harvey Steiman has started an interesting discussion regarding a new Riedel glass designed just for Oregon Pinot noir. In light of my recent post on the subject, I decided to add my two cents.

First, if there is any wine that justifies variations for different terrior, I'd have to go with Pinot noir. It's a grape that -- even to my relatively untrained palate -- varies greatly by where it is grown. Thus, a Riedel Burgundy glass may not do an Oregon Pinot noir full justice. That being said, I won't buy one of these glasses -- even though I love Oregon Pinot noirs. As a sampling done last night confirmed (notes on that to come), the Burgundy glasses do improve great wine. I'll be happy to use them for Burgundy-cousins, and let other, more profligate spenders buy these glasses.

Second, I wonder if having too large a collection of Sommeliers series glasses is to Riedel's benefit? Is this an example of trying to be an innovator, ahead of the curve? Or is this pushing that curve too far, and diluting Riedel's market? Right now, my money's on the latter -- unless there is a demand for New World glasses that highlight the fruit-forward nature of New World wines.

No comments: