Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Alpha Omega Winery and a weekend in Napa.

This weekend included a nice, relaxed (though busy) trip to Napa. I will write more later, but I wanted to focus right now on Alpha Omega Winery. One word: wow.

Alpha Omega is a relatively new winery (their first release was last year), and their prices are relatively low for Napa standards. If you want an idea of what their wines are like, check out the tasting notes for their various wines. In particular, their proprietary red is struck me as being Bordeaux-like -- it will be interesting to see how it ages.

I would describe their late harvest wine as lying somewhere between a Suduiraut and a d'Yquem. Yes, very tasty.

Finally -- the Chardonnay. Definite banana on the nose, along with a host of other flavors. Little to no oak, and no strong signs of malolactic fermentation. And at $38 a bottle, darn cheap (relatively speaking). Exquisite. I liked this wine so much, I am giving it five out of five stars.

No comments: